Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sippies, and Festival, and Obama, Oh My!

It's been quite a week! Maisey has hit a few milestones worth noting! First off, she started drinking really well from a sippy (we have been trying for months) and she is now not drinking from a bottle anymore! YAY! I have read that it is recommended that infants be off a bottle by the age 1, so we have accomplished that with 3 months to spare! Woohooo! The sippy that did the trick was the Nuby brand. Which is the safest, least toxic brand of plastic cups out there (there was a big news special on plastic cups and bottles having a toxin in them). She likes the one without handles. She just puts her cute little hands around the middle of the cup! She thinks she is so big! She also started scooting forward quite a bit this week! The trick... putting a phone in front of her. She loves to go after that. She also likes to get Shaun's Harry Potter book that he is reading. Hey, we'll put anything in front of her as long as she goes forward, because for the last few weeks she was only going backwards! There was the big Keizer Iris Festival this weekend. We went to the parade on Saturday morning. This was Maisey's first parade. She didn't like the sirens from the fire trucks, but after that, she loved it! She especially liked the popsicle she got from the Schwann's truck. We took my cousin's little girl, Madi, with us. She had a great time too. We are babysitting her and her brother Alex this weekend while my cousin is in Vegas. We took them to the carnival part of the festival last night. They had a blast and were very well mannered. We let them ride tons of rides and play the carnival games. They won some cheap little stuffed animals but they were so excited.

I rode down the big slide with Madi. Alex rode with Shaun. They had a great time.

Maisey stayed home with my mom during the festival (It was up close to 100 degrees). While we were taking her to my mom's house we got stopped by a road block of police cars. We were wondering what was going on. Was there a police stand off? Was there a fugitive in the area? Was there a bad accident ahead? Nope!!! Barrack Obama was coming to the Keizer Iris Festival. His motor brigade drove right by us! We could see him in his big black bus! So by the time we took Mais to my mom's he was already at the festival. Shaun shook his hand and took some really close up pictures. Even though we may or may not support him, it was still kind of cool to think that he would come to the LITTLE town of Keizer, OR.
The big black bus!
Obama--Pleasing the crowd!
His wifey, Michelle, visited also!

In other news...

I spoke in church today! I don't think it was very good though. It was all about finances. I prepared pretty well, but I didn't have much time to practice because of all the babysitting this weekend. Oh well, at least it is over and I don't have to speak on the Allegory of the Olive Tree like Shaun does next week! Thanks hun for letting me have the easier topic!

Also, church was pretty crazy cuz we took the two extra kiddos with us! After my talk I came back and sat by the zoo on the fifth row (you know, Shaun and three kids, one which was ours!) We left after Sacrament Meeting, but not before Shaun said that we aren't having anymore kids! It was pretty wild! I felt bad for those who came to Sacrament meeting to actually feel the spirit and learn something!

To end the post on a sad note... my uncle had a heart attack this morning. He is in Vegas too, so it's kind of a weird situation. Anyway, it just brings back memories of my dad and being in the hospital and stuff. I do not wish that upon any person in the whole world! It totally sucks, and I feel bad that my aunt and cousins have to go through this! Please keep them in your prayers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily,
Thanks for your post. It sounds like you had a busy weekend. Judy (Jon's Mom) called us this morning and let us know about Richard. What a sad ordeal. We are waiting word from her today to see how he is. We are two hours from Vegas and might make a trip to see him tonight, depending on the situation. I'm glad all is well there!

Andrew and Katrina said...

If mitt romney got through he totally should have had a big white bus to drive around in. Thats crazy you got that close to obama. Did shaun say anything to him? Wish him luck for us on the olive tree talk.